Sunday, 22 March 2015

Cinnamon Baked Donuts

Hello everyone

A few weeks ago, on a whim, I purchased a donut pan from eBay. After reading a lot about baked donuts and listening to my mum go on about 'sea side' donuts I wanted to make something that was a lot healthier — since they aren't fried — but taste just as yummy.

So after finally getting the chance on a sunny sunday afternoon after a roast i decided to whip a batch up and hope my family liked them. I went for a simple cinnamon sugared donut as that is the closest thing to the ones my mum oh so loves from Skegness and also because it was my first time ever using a donut pan. I didn't want to go all fancy with flavour and just see how well my purchase worked.

Let me tell you - they were amazing! Still warm and just dipped in cinnamon infused sugar  they were heaven and perfect to share with the family on a nice afternoon in the garden. 

I can't wait to make my next batch and try something new with the flavours of baked donut - I'm thinking spiced apple?








The recipe makes 12 full size donuts.



Ingredients

Baking spray


2 cups plain flour


1 1/2 cups sugar


2 tsp baking powder


1 tsp ground cinnamon


1/2 tsp ground nutmeg


1/2 teaspoon kosher salt


1 extra-large egg, lightly beaten


1 1/4 cups whole milk


2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted


2 tsp pure vanilla extract


For the topping:


8 tbsp
butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon



Directions



  • Preheat the oven to 350f/180c/gas 4. 
  • Spray 2 doughnut pans well
  • Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until just combined.
  • Spoon the batter into the baking pans, filling each one a little more than three-quarters full. 
  • Bake for 17 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then tap the doughnuts out onto a sheet pan.
  • For the topping melt 8tbsp of butter, combine the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip each doughnut first in the butter and then in the cinnamon sugar, either on one side or both side

I'd also like to thank Sophie my little sister for helping me with the picture. I may not be able to take amazing photos like you, but you cannot bake to save your life, so i think we are even :)